On May 9, 1955, Fr. Mayan celebrated the first Palmyra Mass in Seltzer’s Theatre. One May 26, 1956 Bishop Leech signed a contract for The Church of the Holy Spirit as a Mission Church of St. Joan of Arc.
The Church and Social Hall were completed one year later, with our first Mass, celebrated by Fr. Mayan, on June 9, 1957. On August 25, Bishop Leech officiated at the solemn blessing and dedication of The Church of the Holy Spirit.
From 1957 until 1965, Holy Spirit was served by St. Joan of Arc, with no independent organizations or activities. Our members functioned through the mother church as their priests attended to our spiritual needs.
On May 28, 1965, our congregation was constituted as an independent Parish Community and its first resident Pastor, Fr. Francis Lahout was appointed by Bishop Leech. Holy Spirit continued to grow in numbers and in ministries, just as it does today.
150th Anniversary of the Diocese of Harrisburg
As part of our diocese’s 150th Anniversary Celebration, we are pleased to present an oral history from one of our longtime parishioners, George Pichini. Listen to his audio interview here:
We are currently looking for archivists to research, organize and present a more detailed parish history with photos. If interested, please contact our office at email@example.com