“for in the sacred books, the Father who is in heaven meets His children with great love and speaks with them” (Vatican II: Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation)
Children’s Liturgy of the Word (CLOW) is a wonderful time for children ages 4—7 to build their relationship with God in the company of their peers. We use scripture, faith-based activities, and prayer to explore our faith with the help of a religious education volunteer. Listen for the announcement during 11am Mass. Children move to a separate classroom with a volunteer before the first reading and return after the homily. If you are interested in becoming a CLOW volunteer or have additional questions, contact Katy Dummeyer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Our last CLOW will be April 30. We will be on break until religious education resumes in the fall.
- Aims to help children ages 4–7 years build a relationship with God by listening to His Word and reflecting upon it in prayer.
- Encourages children’s faith formation by offering time with the Lord in an environment tailored exclusively for them.
- Will include scripture, activities, and prayer to explore our faith with curiosity, enthusiasm, and reverence.
- CLOW meets during 11 am Mass on most religious education (PREP) days. If CGS, 1st grade, or 2nd grade participates in Mass, CLOW will NOT meet. If PREP does not meet, CLOW will NOT meet.
- Please refer to the posted CLOW schedule for specific dates. Listen for the announcement during Mass to join the children processing out of the church for CLOW.
- CLOW happens during Mass in a separate classroom with volunteers that have all clearances designated by the Diocese of Harrisburg.
- Children should begin Mass with their caregivers and participate in the Greeting through the Gloria and Collect with the congregation.
- Before the FIRST READING: Father (or designee) will invite the children wishing to participate to gather in the center aisle for CLOW.
- The CLOW group will process out of the church following the cross-bearer and CLOW volunteer.
- CLOW will meet for 15–20 minutes in a separate room of the church with one or more volunteers.
- Participants will return to the church during the Prayer of the Faithful before the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
- Caregivers may wait for children to return to their pew or retrieve them from the back of the church.
- Please make sure children use the restroom and wash their hands prior to Mass so the brief time in CLOW may be used for prayer and reflection.
For questions, suggestions, or to volunteer for CLOW: email@example.com